AI in IT support


Artificial intelligence

June 12, 2024, 8:00 am | Author: David Evans / Editor: Sabine Narloch

IT decision makers estimate that only 85 percent of requests to IT support teams are answered daily. For the remaining 15 percent, there is not enough time, according to the results of a study commissioned by GoTo. Can AI help?

Powered by AI, you can reduce repetitive tasks, eliminate human error, and achieve more with less effort. In lean teams, this can have noticeable effects. Especially for SMEs, it is often a challenge to provide resources to traditionally smaller but important teams. Often, this also involves the IT department.


However, when it comes to AI, those in charge often feel overwhelmed at the moment: a 2024 of Go to A survey of 1,500 IT decision makers commissioned and conducted by OnePoll found that more than half of respondents (58 percent) experience this in their daily lives. The often small IT teams are reaching their limits and can only process 85 percent of all requests on an average working day. This can lead to frustration – not only for the support team, but also for the requester if their request is processed too late or if they are on hold for a long time.


The majority of respondents would be open to using AI and see it as beneficial to their own work (92 percent). Most (94 percent) would even be willing to outsource simple tasks entirely to AI technology.


The tasks IT teams most often handed off to AI were:


  • network performance monitoring (45 percent)
  • basic troubleshooting for devices (43 percent)
  • solving simple problems (41 percent)


On average, IT staff expect that by delegating tasks to an AI-based tool, they can save more than two hours of work per workday. This would allow them to answer the remaining 15 percent of questions or process more complex tickets. A shorter response and processing time for their helpdesk tickets should also have a positive effect on customers.


Either way, respondents hope to have more time for higher-priority tasks (48 percent), more efficient ticketing workflows (43 percent) and additional tasks for the IT team (41 percent) over the next 10 years.


If AI could actually perform certain tasks for them, respondents would spend more time improving their company’s IT infrastructure (55 percent), focusing on more difficult tickets (46 percent), or improving their company’s security (42 percent).


Starting point: status quo


Three quarters of the Go to and the OnePoll companies surveyed are already using AI (73 percent); more than half of those who aren’t already planning to introduce it into their business in the next 12 months (61 percent).


A first step for companies would be to evaluate AI-based tools that are already in use and identify unused features. In addition, it is important to train your team’s skills and promote the knowledge of AI technologies for internal work processes. Low-code chatbots can be useful for a company in setting up and operating AI-enabled support systems.


David Evans, VP Product Management at GoTo


Read more about the topic


You may also be interested in

Order your free newsletter now!

More articles about GoTo Technologies Germany GmbH

More articles about GoTo

More articles about Artificial Intelligence (AI)

More articles about artificial intelligence

More articles about video conferencing





Source link

Leave a Comment